TBLC Expert Series Talk in Florida- Social Tech Analysis & Inspiration
I explore the impacts of current technology and social media directions in this talk for the Tampa Bay Library Consortium’s Expert Series in Sarasota. The knowledge and inspiration librarians need to navigate the current technological landscape.
- A vision for libraries in an era of change
- inspiration to face the challenges
- Explanation of what is happening in tech that affects libraries
At the Fruitville Public Library on 05/21/2013.
I digest the nonstop tech news and synthesize it for libraries. This session follows the general outline of: Why grow, how grow, which direction to grow. Some of what I cover includes:
- The most inspiring recent tech news stories that challenge our self imposed barriers to learning.
- The most impactful recent or ongoing changes in technology and content.
- Why the most innovative are not the youngest.
- Tumblr and understanding the social landscape.
- The Internet of Things.
- Google Glass and Wearable Tech.
- Outdated concepts of content and ownership.
- Reasons to still be excited about libraries.
- My pet peeves about libraries
- A new approach to defining what a library is.
- Taking the reins as innovators.
- – Joe Murphy, Librarian
About your speaker: Joe Murphy is a librarian who consults and speaks on technology trends, analyzing the meaning of technology changes for libraries and culture. Joe previously worked as a Science Librarian for 5 years in the Yale University Libraries and earned a Masters degree in Library & Information Science from the University of Hawaii in 2006.
From → presentations