Publications by Joe Murphy Librarian
by Joe Murphy Librarian on June 29th, 2011
Select List of Publications by Joe Murphy Library Future
- Location-Aware Services and QR Codes for Libraries. The Tech Set series, Edited by Ellyssa Kroski. Neal-Schuman. 7/2011. About location aware mobile technologies (including Foursquare and other location-based social networks, QR Codes, Augmented Reality, NFC, mobile photo sharing apps w/ a location element, and local discovery tools) and their application. http://www.neal-schuman.com/qr
- Mobile Devices and the Library: Handheld Tech, Handheld Reference. Edited by Joe Murphy. Oct 14th 2011, Routledge. 978-0-415-68975-5.
- TOPIC CONSULTANT [TECHNICAL EDITOR]: Rector, Natalie T. Social Media Marketing for Libraries. Ed. Joe Murphy. LITA Publications, 2013. eBook.
- Guest Editor for four special issues of the scholarly journal, The Reference Librarian, featuring papers from The Handheld Librarian online conferences. Volume 52 #1 and 2 2011 and expected publication date for second issue Volume 53 issue 1 Fall 2011. Third and fourth volume dates TBD.
- Editor, Monograph “Technology Trends and Their Impact on the Future for Libraries.” Libraries Unlimited/ABC-CLIO. Expected publication date: Spring 2012.
Articles by Joe Murphy Librarian:
- “Refining Mobile Library Services.” Introduction to special issue of The Reference Librarian, volume 53 #4, 2012. Taylor & Francis.
- “Practical Information About the Developing Mobile Experience.” special issue of The Reference Librarian. Volume 53 #3, 2012. http://www.slideshare.net/joseph.murphy/handheld-librarian-special-issue-introduction-hhlib-3-murphy
- “The Mobile Revolution and The Handheld Librarian.” Introduction to special issue of The Reference Librarian, Volume 52 #1 &2. 2011. http://www.slideshare.net/joseph.murphy/intro-to-special-issue-of-the-reference-librarian-about-hhlib-joe-murphy
- “Using Mobile Devices FOR Research.” (Cover story). Online. May 2010; 34(3):14-18. Peer Reviewed. http://bit.ly/onlinemobile
- “The Challenges & Promise of Mobile Technology.” International Preservation News: A Newsletter of the IFLA Core Activity on Preservation and Conservation. IFLA Préservation and Conservation (PAC). August (51), 2010.
- “UCLA and Yale Science Libraries Data on Cyberlearning and Reference Services Via Mobile Devices.” With Alison Armstrong, Michelle Jacobs, & Brena Smith. Proceedings of the International m-Libraries Conference, A virtual library in everyone’s pocket. Mohamed Ally and Gill Needham, editors. 5/2010. Page 245. Peer Reviewed.
- “Go mobile: Use These Strategies and Increase Your Mobile Literacy and Your Patrons’ Satisfaction.” With Lisa Carlucci Thomas Library Connect 7(4) Nov (2009). Page 7. http://libraryconnect.elsevier.com/lcn/0704/lcn070408.html http://bit.ly/gomobilelibconnect
- “Social Networking Literacy Competencies For Librarians: Exploring Considerations And Engaging Participation.” With Heather Moulaison. Contributed paper, Scale the heights theme. Association of College and Research Libraries, and Dawn M. Mueller. Pushing the Edge: Explore, Extend, Engage: Proceedings of the Fourteenth National Conference of the Association of College and Research Libraries, March 12-15, 2009, Seattle, Washington. Chicago: Association of College and Research Libraries, 2009. Page 328. http://www.slideshare.net/joseph.murphy/social-networking-literacy-competencies-for-librarians http://bit.ly/acrlpaper Peer Reviewed.
- Review of Mosio’s Text A Librarian. Charleston Advisor. 10:3 (Jan 2009). http://www.slideshare.net/joseph.murphy/review-of-mosios-text-a-librarian Peer Reviewed.
- “Schrödinger’s Course: The Availability of Courses on Resources in Science & Technology Among LIS Programs” Science and Technology Libraries 28: 4(2008). Peer Reviewed.
- Review of Scitopia.org. Charleston Advisor 9:2 (2007). http://charleston.publisher.ingentaconnect.com/content/charleston/chadv/2007/00000009/00000002/art00014 Peer Reviewed.
- “An Astronomy Library’s Oral History Initiative: What One Observatory Librarian is Doing to Preserve a Telescope’s History” Issues in Science & Technology Librarianship (Spring 2007). http://www.istl.org/07-spring/refereed2.html Peer Reviewed.
Interviews, Columns, Reviews, and Other
- Interviewed for Mashable by Sam Laird, “The Future of History is on Facebook.” http://mashable.com/2012/01/10/history-facebook/
- Cover Story. Interviewed by Andy Havens and Tom Storey. “Innovation Gaps: What’s keeping you from inventing the future?” NextSpace. OCLC. 18(May 2011). http://www.oclc.org/nextspace/018/default.htm
- Interviewed by School Library Journal. “LITA’s Top Tech Trends Advice to K-12 Libraries: Think Small.” School Library Journal, 1/25/2010. http://www.schoollibraryjournal.com/article/CA6716358.html?q=top+tech+trends
- Interviewed for “Innovation in Libraries Explores Mobile Services.” School Library Journal 11/9/2009 http://www.schoollibraryjournal.com/article/CA6706063.html 11/9/2009
- Interviewed for “Text Message Reference: Is It Effective?” Stacking the Tech. Library Journal, 10/15/2009. (19) (Nov 2009).
- Interview “From the Stacks. The future of libraries & the role of mobile/social technologies.” Library Matters, American Institute of Physics. June 2009 http://librarians.aip.org/newsletter_library.pdf
- “Txt a Librarian.” Tame the Web. February 26th, 2008. http://tametheweb.com/2008/02/26/txt-a-librarian
- Featured in “Mobile technologies: Issues for libraries. A recap of the 2011 Digital Libraries Symposium.” Library Connect Newsletter. Elsevier. Volume 9, Number 11. March 2011. Page 8. http://bit.ly/alamw11libconnect
- Write up from webinar, “Staff Development Committee Webinar Report.” SciTechNews. Summer 2010.
- “People Who Need People: How 11 intrepid users get the most out of social media: Going Mobile.” School Library Journal, 2/1/2010. http://www.schoollibraryjournal.com/article/CA6716598.html?industryid=47065#Joe
- REGULAR COLUMN: “Best Practices From the Field.” In Science & Technology Libraries.
- “Management Models and Considerations for Virtual Reference.” Science and Technology Libraries 29: 1-2 (2010). http://bit.ly/columnmgt
- “Micro-Blogging for Science & Technology Libraries.” Science and Technology Libraries 28: 4 (2008). http://eprints.rclis.org/archive/00012752/02/Murphy_Microblogging.pdf
- Outside Referee for the Physics section of Resources for College Libraries, 2007.
- Reviewer, CHOICE Current Reviews for Academic Libraries, 1/2007-2009. Subject area: Astronomy, Cosmology. Books and websites.
- Science book Reviewer: Library Journal.
- Holoholo review of Duke: a great Hawaiian.
- Book Reviewer: Issues in Science and Technology Librarianship (ISTL).
- PEER REVIEWER for scholarly journals:
- Science & Technology Libraries
- Journal of Web Librarianship