Pew Report: Who Creates & Curates Pics Online w/ Pinterest, Instagram, Tumblr
New report from Pew, “Photos and Videos as Social Currency Online,” looks into who creates & curates images and videos online including w/ Pinterest, Instagram, and Tumblr. This look into the growth of online curation and the infusion of image-sharing trend elements finds that, 12% of all US internet users use Pinterest, and 12% are on Instagram.
See the full report, which is the first study from Pew Internet & American Life Project involving Instagram, Pinterest, and Tumblr.
[% of American Internet Users]
- 46% post photos and videos that they created
- 67% of 18-29 year olds post pictures they have taken
- 41% curate photos and videos that they find online
- 18% of internet users post videos
- 12% are on Pinterest (20% of online women use Pinterest)
- Women are more likely than men to use Pinterest
- Instagram & Tumblr users reflect more equal gender demographics
- More than a quarter of 18-29 year olds and 12% of all are on Instagram
67% of 18-29 year old internet users post pictures they have taken
(50% of 30-49 year olds, 28% and 26% of 50-64 and 65+).
18% of internet users post videos
1/3 of users age 18-19, 18% of the next older demographic, and 8% of users older than that post their videos online.
When it Comes to Curating Online:
Curating Images AND Videos Online:
- 41% curate photos and videos on image-sharing sites that they find online
- 2/3 of 18-29 year olds curate and share images or videos online
- 40% of 30-49 year olds
- 30% of 50-64 year olds
- 20% of 65+
Sharing/reposting Images online:
- Half of 18-29 years
- M ore than a third of 30-49 year olds
- ¼ of 50-64 year olds
- 17% of older than 65
- 44 for 18-19 year olds
- ~20 for age groups 30-64
- 10 for 65+
- 12% of all US internet users
- 20% of women and 5% of men
- 16% 18-29 of year olds
- 12% 30-49 of year olds
- 13% 50-64 of year olds
- 4% of 65+
- Well spread out over income demographics
Who Uses Instagram:
- 12% of all internet users (and yet Instagram has over 100 million users, I wonder why the seeming discrepancy)
- Equal for men and women
- More than ¼ of 18-29 year olds
- 8 and 10% of 30-49 year olds and 50-64 year olds use Instagram respectively
- 45% of the 65+ crowd.
Who Uses Tumblr:
- 5% of all, more women than men
- Almost all are in the younger demographic
This reportaalso highlights of Facebook, Twitter, and LinekdIn usage.
“Photos and Videos as Social Currency Online,” Pew Internet & American Life Project. By Lee Rainie, Joanna Brenner, Kristen Purcell, Sep 13, 2012. http://pewinternet.org/Reports/2012/Online-Pictures.aspx
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.