Articles and Writing by Joe Murphy Librarian
Joe Murphy has contributed articles and other writings to the library conversation.
- Guest Editor. Four special issues of The Reference Librarian.
- Peer Reviewer for scholarly journals:
- Science & Technology Libraries
- Journal of Web Librarianship
- Cover article. “Using Mobile Devices FOR Research.” Online. May 2010; 34(3):14-18. Peer Reviewed. http://bit.ly/onlinemobile
- Peer Reviewed / Scholarly:
- “Social Networking Literacy Competencies For Librarians: Exploring Considerations And Engaging Participation.” With Heather Moulaison. Proceedings of the Association of College and Research Libraries (ACRL) Conference, March 2009. Page 328.http://www.slideshare.net/joseph.murphy/social-networking-literacy-competencies-for-librarianshttp://bit.ly/acrlpaper.
- Review of Mosio’s Text A Librarian. Charleston Advisor. 10:3 (Jan 2009).http://www.slideshare.net/joseph.murphy/review-of-mosios-text-a-librarianPeer Reviewed.
- “Schrödinger’s Course: The Availability of Courses on Resources in Science & Technology Among LIS Programs” Science and Technology Libraries 28: 4(2008). Peer Reviewed.
- Review of Scitopia.org. Charleston Advisor 9:2 (2007).http://charleston.publisher.ingentaconnect.com/content/charleston/chadv/2007/00000009/00000002/art00014Peer Reviewed.
- “An Astronomy Library’s Oral History Initiative: What One Observatory Librarian is Doing to Preserve a Telescope’s History” Issues in Science & Technology Librarianship (Spring 2007). http://www.istl.org/07-spring/refereed2.html Peer Reviewed.
- “UCLA and Yale Science Libraries Data on Cyberlearning and Reference Services Via Mobile Devices.” With Alison Armstrong, Michelle Jacobs, & Brena Smith.Proceedings of the International m-Libraries Conference, A virtual library in everyone’s pocket. Mohamed Ally and Gill Needham, editors. 5/2010. Page 245. Peer Reviewed.
- “Refining Mobile Library Services.” Introduction to special issue of The Reference Librarian, volume 53 #4, 2012. Taylor & Francis.
- “Practical Information About the Developing Mobile Experience.” special issue ofThe Reference Librarian. Volume 53 #3, 2012.http://www.slideshare.net/joseph.murphy/handheld-librarian-special-issue-introduction-hhlib-3-murphy
- “The Mobile Revolution and The Handheld Librarian.” Introduction to special issue of The Reference Librarian, Volume 52 #1 &2. 2011.http://www.slideshare.net/joseph.murphy/intro-to-special-issue-of-the-reference-librarian-about-hhlib-joe-murphy
- “The Challenges & Promise of Mobile Technology.” International Preservation News: A Newsletter of the IFLA Core Activity on Preservation and Conservation. IFLA Préservation and Conservation (PAC). August (51), 2010.
- “Go mobile: Use These Strategies and Increase Your Mobile Literacy and Your Patrons’ Satisfaction.” With Lisa Carlucci Thomas Library Connect 7(4) Nov (2009). Page 7. http://libraryconnect.elsevier.com/lcn/0704/lcn070408.htmlhttp://bit.ly/gomobilelibconnect
Interviews, Columns, and more by or of Joe Murphy.
- Interviewed for Mashable by Sam Laird, “The Future of History is on Facebook.”http://mashable.com/2012/01/10/history-facebook/
- Cover Story. Interviewed by Andy Havens and Tom Storey. “Innovation Gaps:What’s keeping you from inventing the future?” NextSpace. OCLC. 18(May 2011).http://www.oclc.org/nextspace/018/default.htm
- “LITA’s Top Tech Trends Advice to K-12 Libraries: Think Small.” School Library Journal, 1/25/2010.http://www.schoollibraryjournal.com/article/CA6716358.html?q=top+tech+trends
- “Innovation in Libraries Explores Mobile Services.” School Library Journal 11/9/2009http://www.schoollibraryjournal.com/article/CA6706063.html 11/9/2009
- “Text Message Reference: Is It Effective?” Stacking the Tech. Library Journal, 10/15/2009. (19) (Nov 2009).
- “From the Stacks. The future of libraries & the role of mobile/social technologies.” Library Matters, American Institute of Physics. June 2009http://librarians.aip.org/newsletter_library.pdf
- “Txt a Librarian.” Tame the Web. February 26th, 2008.http://tametheweb.com/2008/02/26/txt-a-librarian
- Featured in “Mobile technologies: Issues for libraries. A recap of the 2011 Digital Libraries Symposium.” Library Connect Newsletter. Elsevier. Volume 9, Number 11. March 2011. Page 8. http://bit.ly/alamw11libconnect
- “Staff Development Committee Webinar Report.” SciTechNews. Summer 2010.
- “People Who Need People: How 11 intrepid users get the most out of social media: Going Mobile.” School Library Journal, 2/1/2010.http://www.schoollibraryjournal.com/article/CA6716598.html?industryid=47065#Joe
- REGULAR COLUMN: “Best Practices From the Field.” In Science & Technology Libraries.
- “Management Models and Considerations for Virtual Reference.” Science and Technology Libraries 29: 1-2 (2010). http://bit.ly/columnmgt
- “Micro-Blogging for Science & Technology Libraries.” Science and Technology Libraries 28: 4 (2008).http://eprints.rclis.org/archive/00012752/02/Murphy_Microblogging.pdf
- Book and Resource Reviewer:
- Outside Referee for the Physics section of Resources for College Libraries, 2007.
- Reviewer, CHOICE Current Reviews for Academic Libraries, 1/2007-2009. Subject area: Astronomy, Cosmology. Books and websites.
- Science book Reviewer: Library Journal.
- Holoholo review of Duke: a great Hawaiian.
- Book Reviewer: Issues in Science and Technology Librarianship (ISTL).
Books by Joe Murphy – http://joemurphylibraryfuture.com/about-cv/books-by-joe-murphy-librarian/
Joe Murphy Librarian
Joe Murphy Library future